Obstructive sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder caused by collapse of the airway while sleeping. The collapse results in repeated short periods of not breathing, causing lack of oxygen. The sufferer often wakes gasping for breath during the night. An estimated 18 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea and most are not diagnosed or evaluated. Left untreated, sleep apnea can be fatal and can lead to heart failure, heart attacks/strokes, poorly controlled diabetes, reduced memory, daytime fatigue, depression, mood swings, poor productivity and accidents.
Swollen tonsils and adenoids are a major cause of sleep apnea in children, as well as, childhood obesity. There are many additional causes for sleep disturbance aside from obstructive sleep apnea. Please visit the Harbin Clinic Sleep Center for more information about how we diagnose and treat many causes of sleep disturbance.
Sleep Apnea Treatments
- Oral Appliances the first treatment for snoring and mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea prescribed by a dentist
- CPAP continuous positive airway pressure therapy prescribed by a pulmonologist
- Surgical management by an Otolaryngologist
- Minimally invasive palatoplasty with coblation and laser
- Repose Genioglossus Advancement
- Pillar Procedure
Visit Harbin Clinic Ear Nose & Throat for more information.