Prescribe Outside: Side Effects of Being Outdoors
Ditch the desire to stay inside snackin’ in front of screens. At Harbin Clinic, we are prescribing outdoor activities for our patients and families this summer!
On average, Americans spend 90% of their lives indoors despite the great side effects of outdoor activities, including:
– Improved physical health: Medical research links more outdoor time with improved motor development and lower obesity rates. Safe sun exposure also increases our vitamin D levels, which helps our bodies stay healthy and strong!
– A healthier state of mind: People who spend time in nature report lower levels of stress, anxiety and depression. Sunshine also naturally improves your mood!
– Increased curiosity, creativity and critical thinking: Did you know research findings suggest that spending more time in nature results in improved learning outcomes for children.
– Heart health benefits: Physical activity lowers the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes by decreasing blood pressure and improving cholesterol levels.
– It’s free! No gym membership is required to enjoy the great outdoors, In fact, people who are more active have fewer medical costs each year! Relieve financial burdens and take advantage of the beautiful trails, streams and parks located throughout Northwest Georgia.
Not sure where or how to start your sensational summer of outdoor adventures? No worries! We’ve got your back. Learn more about exciting, family-friendly outdoor activities in your area by clicking here.