Your Sleep Study - What to Expect
Welcome to Harbin Clinic Sleep Disorders Center
Your First Appointment
Your first appointment will be a daytime office visit with one of our sleep specialists. He will ask you a series of questions about your medical history, medications, sleeping patterns and reason for your visit. The specialist will then perform a physical exam. Depending on the findings, a sleep study will be scheduled for you.
Preparing for the Sleep Study
Take no naps the day of the test and avoid caffeine. Continue taking any prescription medication as instructed. Bring clothes for sleeping —a top and bottom, preferably made of cotton. Also bring a toothbrush, toothpaste and any other routine items.
The Sleep Study
- You will arrive at 8:30pm or 9:30pm.
- First you’ll complete consent and information forms.
- After you are shown to your room, a technician will explain the procedures and put sensors on your head and body.
- After testing the equipment, the technician will remain in a separate area. The technician can see and hear everything in your room and document findings, events, vocalizations, etc. All information gathered during the study helps us make an accurate diagnosis and develop your treatment plan.
- In the morning, the technician will wake you and remove all monitoring equipment. You’ll complete a post-sleep assessment.
Results of Your Sleep Study
You will be given a follow-up appointment to review the results with the sleep specialist. A second study may be necessary to determine treatment levels required to alleviate your apnea.