What To Expect
The physician begins every new patient consultation by preforming a complete physical and mental assessment to determine if and how acupuncture can be used to help.
Early stages of treatment require one visit per week. The length between treatment increases as sustained symptom relief is achieved. A patient’s response to acupuncture can normally be assessed within 6-8 sessions. A typical treatment course is 12 sessions, and follow-up sessions are generally done quarterly or as needed if symptoms recur.
A response to the movement of Qi, even short-term worsening of symptoms, indicates that the body is responding to acupuncture. The response to treatment is evaluated at each visit, and adjustments in the treatment or medications are made as necessary. The effects of acupuncture treatments are cumulative and the goal is lasting improvement.
Tips for Treatment
- Wear comfortable clothes in order to fully relax in our facility’s soothing environment
- Patients are treated lying down and needles are normally left in place for 5-20 minutes
- At least three needles are inserted on each side of the body to promote energy movement
- Acupuncture needles elicit a number of varying sensations such as warmth, tingling, temporary muscle aching, sedation or euphoria
- You can feel the need to go home and rest after treatment
- Manual manipulation, heat and electrical stimulation are occasionally used to enhance the treatments affects
- It is advised that you avoid other treatment modalities 24 hours before and after an acupuncture treatment