Mitral Valve Repair & Replacement
Harbin Clinic cardiothoracic surgeons always try to repair rather than replace valves. Clear advantages of mitral valve repair versus replacement include:
- A lower mortality at the time of operation (1-2% for repair versus 6-8% for replacement).
- A significantly lower risk of stroke, and a lower rate of infection.
- Improved long-term survival with mitral valve repair.
- Patients who receive a valve repair stay on the same survival curve as the normal population.
- After mitral valve repair, blood thinners are not required, in contrast to the life-long requirement for blood thinners after mechanical mitral valve replacement.
- Mitral valve repairs are very durable. Studies have shown that 95 percent of patients will have a perfectly working valve 20 years after mitral valve repair surgery.