Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017
No one wants to catch the flu and with flu season looming just around the corner Harbin Clinic encourages patients to make sure they get their flu shot.
Fighting the Flu
Flu season typically runs from October through March. Harbin Clinic encourages everyone to learn how to protect against seasonal influenza.
The first step in protecting against the flu is getting a yearly flu shot as soon as possible. Harbin Clinic recommends all individuals six months and older get a flu shot every year, as the strains of flu virus are constantly changing.
The Centers for Disease Control states it takes about two weeks after the vaccination for the body’s immune response to fully respond and for an individual to be protected, so getting a flu shot sooner can help ensure you’re protected.
The CDC’s recommendation is the same as last year regarding the flu mist vaccine. It is not recommended for this flu season, so only the flu shot is available.
The flu virus is spread through coughs, sneezes, and dirty hands. To further prevent against the flu, Harbin Clinic physicians recommend these five good health practices:
- Get a flu shot to prevent against this year’s strains of the flu virus.
- Wash your hands often with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Use a tissue to cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough.
- Stay home if you begin exhibiting flu symptoms.
- If you feel ill, ask for a facemask to prevent spreading flu germs.
Harbin Clinic cares completely about keeping you and your family healthy. Call 888.427.2461 for more information about getting a flu shot.